Friday, January 29, 2010

My spot


I have just returned from holidays and was catching up on some blogs and discovered that Nicole and others  have been brave enough to share "their writing space".  This desk is in our bedroom and I still treasure this space that I don't share with anyone.  We have lived in this house for almost 11 years and until then, I had no space to call my own but lots of black holes.

My family will claim that my desk is usually a huge black hole - it is usually covered in piles of bits and pieces of paper and piles of books, but for some strange reason, it is uncluttered and lovely today.  I love to sit here to read my bible and pray, to send emails, to write and think.  I confess to being a scrabble addict and play many games of scrabble on facebook with dear friends.  My family think I have a serious addiction problem and my son has offered to find me a counsellor.

There is a huge pile of books perching on the top of this bookshelf.  I have to confess, they are all about marriage and I have not read a single one of them.  They sit there beckoning me to open their covers, but a novel sitting on the shelves below usually wins.  Maybe 2010 will be the year when I start wading through this pile.

I am a cat lover, so I seem to collect "cat" parapheralia - I really do not need any more.  However, having spent ten days with my mother and her siamese cat, I am smitten and would love to have a real cat.  Alas, I have a husband who fails to share this passion or interest.  I have had three siamese cats in my life and loved them all and missed each of them when they departed this world.

I have to confess, this is not my only space - I am an avid sewer - and I have a new space in our family room.  Until very recently all my creative projects took place on the kitchen table and the family had to work around my mess.  This has suited me fine, but I realised that the rest of my family were a little fed up living with the clutter that is associated with making a quilt.  I have two offspring who are at uni and they also enjoy sitting at the kitchen table with their friends while they supposedly work.  We can often have up to 7 or 8 students sitting together, with me clutching my end of the table with the sewing machine and other stuff.  I decided to move all my sewing things out of the kitchen and up into the family room.  I have claimed a small desk and much cupboard space and set myself up.  I share this desk with my offspring - it is a beautiful space and looks out into our delightful garden which we share with two other families.

I would love to see where my friend Jenny manages to write.

No comments: