Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Looking Through the Window


I was inspired by my friend Jess, who is living in Edinburgh and took photos of views through windows to do the same. At home, we don't really look out at anything I would think of photographing. Here it is a little different. From one of our upstairs windows, you can look out at the neighbours houses and gardens - they are amazingly quaint to our eyes. If I sit in the bath, I look out at this very young church.

It is so different to Sydney in so many ways. This morning we went up to a tiny village called Snowshill where my aunt and uncle used to own a sheep farm. My uncle had retired at the age of 50 and took up sheep farming. The next eight years were the happiest of his life. He replaced a busy high powered and high paying life with much travel and time away from his family for something completely different. Their house was bought by the National Trust about fifteen years ago and turned into a restaurant as it is next door to the Snowshill Manor.

This Manor had been bought in 1919 by a man who spent his life collecting things of beauty and filling this house with them. Just before his death he bequeathed the house and its contents to the National Trust. It is an amazingly quirky collection of all sorts of things - bicycles, samurai armour, swords, dolls houses, musical instruments, spinning wheels and books, fabric and lots of bits and pieces. It is like walking through a treasure trove. We wandered around the Manor and had a coffee in Margaret's old house which now looks very different. She must find it odd visiting her old home and it looks completely different.
This used to be Piper's Grove - owned by my aunt and uncle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Photo Mum, except I must add that I have taken some amazing photos of the sunset out through our windows...