Sunday, October 12, 2008

London by train


We had an early start to Morton in Marsh to catch the train to London. What a beautiful way to travel. You can book your seats and sit in relative comfort as the countryside flashes past. Such a golden morning. Keith spent his London day in Dr William's Library which is located at Gordon Square in London. This is quite close to the British Museum. He found the library was from a different era with an antiquated computerised catalogue but filled with many treasures relating to Ricky Baxter.

I took Johnnie to St Pancras to catch a train to Paris. It was chaotic as the timetables had changed and no one really knew which train they were meant to catch. I took Johnnie as far as I could before only passengers could go. I then departed. Little knowing that Johnnie was frisked and searched and told that he couldn't travel as he was an unaccompanied minor. Does he really look like he could be a suicide bomber? Is this why he was treated with such suspicion and ferocity? I had no phone, so Johnnie had no way of contacting anyone who could help him. Fortunately, a woman, an angel in disguise said she would accompany him and got him through customs and onto the train. I am sure he breathed a sigh of relief. There is nothing on the train's website saying that minors are not allowed to travel unaccompanied. I have sent an email to complain but am not expecting a reply.

I hope that he gets back to London alright tomorrow. My friend Libby, who met him in Paris said she thought he was remarkably calm about the entire event.

Oblivious to my son's plight, I went to the British Library, ate my sandwich in the sunshine and then browsed the treasures. There are many, but the one that I am remembering now is Jane Austen's writing table and two of her manuscripts. I was in awe to look at such treasures that carry stories of a past era.

I then tackled the underground and found my way to Liberty's and Oxford Street. The crowds, noise and general chaos overwhelmed me so I returned to Russell Square - a delightful park in the middle of a square and found a sun filled cafe in its centre and bought a large cup of tea and read my book. I watched the squirrels scurrying up and down the trees and watched the different people sitting at the tables. I was not in a hurry to go anywhere.

Keith and I met up at five pm and explored the nearby streets and found bookshops and other fun shops that we can return to this week. We managed to make our way back to Paddington Station, where I could have bought a Paddington Bear for Susannah as she has a vast collection of bears that she adores and treasures. One day there will be no room for her because of her bears. We got home a bit before ten pm. A long and exhausting day.

No comments: