Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rowton and Half Way House


Ricky Baxter's birthplace. It was a long drive to reach this spot on the map - it was just that - a spot. Apparently, Ricky's parents lived in Half Way House. There was a village with this name a bit further down the road. We returned to the "spot" and found Rowton Castle, which has become a trendy place for the wealthy to stay.

I later discovered that my cousin Susannah has a very close friend who lives on a farm called "Half Way House" in Rowton! How amazing is that? I wish we had more time so we could return and explore properly.

I have been chatting to a friend of Michael's on facebook. He said he was exogitating - having no idea what that meant, I asked him and apparently it is a smart person word for thinking deeply on an issue. I think that Ricky did a bit of this during his life, and it might well have started right here in Rowton. He had a good education but never went to university. He must have had a good mind, as he had an excellent library and read widely. His collection of books at the end of his life was impressive.

No comments: