Monday, November 30, 2009

Children's Christmas books


Wombat plays baby Jesus, originally uploaded by G a r r y.


A friend asked me to buy two children's books about Christmas. She gave me a generous budget - she just wanted them to be overtly "Christian". This type of shopping fills me with much delight. I love reading and reading books to children is one of my passions. I recall hours spent reading book after book to my children when they were small.

We have four good bookstores within walking distance of my home, so I thought I would have no problems at all spending this money. Alas, much to my dismay, I have discovered that the first two had no books in them that I thought were appropriate. I don't recall having this difficulty when my children were small. I am yet to visit the other two shops, so I am hopeful I will find something that will appeal.

My sister in law Julie asks me every year for the names of the books that I have for children about Christmas. She was a primary school teacher and is now a Mum with two small children. I thought I would share my list of books with you, as once again, she asked me for this information. I have given the links to details about each book on Amazon. I am sure they are available locally and could be ordered in, but Amazon is incredibly quick and it is so easy to fill that online basket....

For younger readers, but they will beg you to return to them year after year

The Story of Christmas by Jane Ray. (Orchard Books) This has the lushest illustrations. Mary and Joseph look middle-eastern and Mary actually looks pregnant. There is an earthiness and richness to each picture. For small children, it is the illustrations that tell the story - but the words let the pictures tell the story.

A Christmas Story by Brian Wildsmith. (Oxford University Press) The illustrations are magnificent.

Santa's Favorite Story by Hisako Aoki and Ivan Gantschev. Santa shares the story about the birth of Jesus and that it was God's gift to us on the first Christmas. The illustrations are soft and mellow, its simplicity makes it a wonderful book to read again and again.

Tale of Three Trees by Anglea Elwell Hunt. If you haven't come across this book before, I won't spoil it for you, but it is a wonderful book that can be read at Christmas and Easter - and can be read and understood at many different levels. It moves me everytime I read it.

For the older reader

The Worst Kids in the World by Barbara Robinson. We had a tradition of reading this book every December. It is quirky, funny and filled with unexpected surprises. Christine Jensen gave this book to our family and it has been a wonderful friend to us since then. Christine has introduced my family to many wonderful books and I am forever grateful to her enthusiasm and love for books.

The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado. This is a beautiful story about a crippled lamb who witnesses the birth of Jesus. The illustrations are simply beautiful.

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski. We read this book each December, and each time, I was reduced to tears - it will still move me.

Star of Wonder by Pat Alexander is a delightful anthology of Christmas Stories and Poems for Children (Lion Book). This book was given to the Condie family by the Jensen family.

During December, we would also read the story of Christmas from each gospel. The bible we used depended on rsthe age of our children. When they were very little we used the Beginner's Bible. I might put this pile of books on the table in our lounge room so we can all look at them and be reminded of the wondrous story of Jesus' birth and arrival into our world.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

great list Sarah - thanks.

Erin said...

As an early childhood teacher my favourite children's picture book about Christmas is The Navtitiy, illustrated by Julie Vivas and the words are straight out of the Bible.
Tells the real story with absolutely gorgeous pictures

Unknown said...

What a nice blog you have! I see by leaving a comment on another blog and thought I would stop and say hello.


Books For Children