Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Delighting in the Lord - 1


I have spent much time pondering and meditating on what delighting in the Lord looks like. I read Psalm 37 on New Year's Eve last year and was struck by this verse: "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." ( 4). I have given two talks on this topic and in my devotions have returned to Psalm 37 again and again. I have not had an easy year healthwise, and at times I wondered if God had a sense of humour in challenging me to think about this topic in the midst of a foggy and dysfunctional head. However, I have found that God has continually reminded me to delight in Him and it has really helped me survive.

For my birthday a dear neighbour gave me the book "Bible Delight" by Christopher Ash. It looks at Psalm 119 in 22 bite sized pieces with a couple of questions at the end of each section. I have enjoyed reading this book enormously and my understanding of delighting in the Lord has been enriched.

This morning I was looking at section 10 - verses 73-80:

73 Your hands made me and formed me;
give me understanding to learn your commands.
74 May those who fear you rejoice when they see me,
for I have put my hope in your word.
75 I know, O LORD, that your laws are righteous,
and in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76 May your unfailing love be my comfort,
according to your promise to your servant.
77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live,
for your law is my delight.
78 May the arrogant be put to shame for wronging me without cause;
but I will meditate on your precepts.
79 May those who fear you turn to me,
those who understand your statutes.
80 May my heart be blameless toward your decrees,
that I may not be put to shame.

This section and the last one have been about the place of affliction in the Christian life. These verses suggest that God uses times of great difficulty to develop our faith and trust in God and that God uses these times for good - often to help us develop our Christian character. This year I have learnt about delight and appreciating the good things in life - of which there are many, to take the time to savour small moments such as the jacarandas in flower or the smell of a rose in our garden.

I have also been thinking about my bible study group. What a wonderful group of Christian women. During the year, we took it in turns to share about a time of difficulty in our lives and what God taught us through it. I found out so much about these women, but more than this, I was enormously encouraged by seeing how they have persevered - I rejoice in them and from their stories I have gained much encouragement to persevere myself - because they have!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

last few days our group held a similar talk on this subject and you illustrate something we have not covered yet, appreciate that.

- Laura