Thursday, August 2, 2007

Convalescing in Sydney

Last year I had a mild stroke and it totally changed my life. A friend gave me a book by Alice Steinbeck called “Without Reservation” which inspired me. Alice takes a year off and travels. From each place she visits she sends herself a postcard. I was not in a position to travel, but something I could do was walk. As it was winter, and as anyone who lives in Sydney knows, when it is a sunny day in winter, it is just gorgeous to be outdoors.

I started to write a book called “Convalescing in Sydney” in which I talked about some of the walks I did during this difficult time. These walks contributed to my recovery.

One of my favourite outings was to catch a bus to Circular Quay and walk around to Mrs Macquarie’s chair. The sun sparkling on the water, the light reflecting from the shells of the opera house made this place seem magical.

No comments: