Saturday, August 18, 2007

Retro Blog



My neighbour Mary Ann is keen to meet her neighbours and would like us to become more community minded. She came over last week and we had a long conversation about global warming and peak oil. She read the book by Barbara Kingsolver which has prompted her angst. Mary Ann is a bit of an activist and has decided to provoke her neighbours into action, not just talk.

She would love to set up a vege garden for the college community - particularly for faculty families. I told her that the gardener at St Paul's has a vege garden behind John Chapman house. Apparently, he has agreed to let us build a vege garden there.

Yesterday as I walked past her place, I saw that she had pegged a message to her neighbours onto her front fence encouraging people to respond. She had left a pile of paper scraps and pegs for people to contribute. There were a number of messages pegged up by passers by. Mary Ann lives on King Street, so there are people walking past constantly. I enjoyed reading the messages and added one of my own. This morning, I noticed that someone had referred to this as a retro blog.

3 comments:

byron smith said...

That's brilliant! "Is there an RSS feed for this blog?"

byron smith said...

I've started a "Street Blog" at Lecihhardt (printing out some of my blog posts and putting them up the noticeboard on Norton Street which people often stop to read), but hadn't worked out how to incorporate "comments"!

byron smith said...

I saw her blog today. It looked fun!