Sunday, July 20, 2008

Barneys - memories


This painting of our church was done by a very dear friend of mine. It captures something of the beauty of the building and the community who met there. Coincidently, I just happened to be giving a farewell speech at the time that my friend did the sketching, so it is me standing at the front.

It was a sad day when our church building burnt down just over two years ago. I had had a mild stroke three weeks earlier and this hard shaken me and my family. We got a phone call at about 6 am to tell us that Barneys was on fire. We walked around in a state of shock all day, in fact all week.

For a while, I thought that the structures that held my life in place - including my health which I had taken for granted and my church which I had certainly taken for granted had come unstuck. What else would move or change? This event again turned me to God - who remains unmovable and unchangeable - like a solid rock.

I love my friend's artwork. I am so glad that I have a copy of this picture in photo form. I have it hanging on a cupboard in my kitchen. I have so many memories of events that have taken place in this church building. It is only a building, but it carried much history - not only for me but for many.

At present we are meeting at Moore College - a great place for our church in many ways, but it doesn't mean that I don't miss our old building. I am thankful for what was and for all God's work that took place there for nearly 150 years.

No comments: