Monday, July 21, 2008

Cherishing moments - mothers and daughters


My Mother, originally uploaded by or more, see www.CommonTies.com


I love this picture of a mother with her daughter. Despite her obvious grief, she still is able to reach out with love to her daughter and take the time and energy to read to her - even a boring book about books and minerals. Her mind was probably elsewhere, but her arms were wrapped around her.

It reminds me of the hours I spent reading to my children when they were small. We shared such special times and memories together in this way. My daughter has been away for almost a month and I have missed her so much and can't wait to see her again.

This morning while waiting in a checkout queue at the supermarket, I struck up a conversation with the woman behind me. She was much older than me and was complaining about the fact there were only three check outs open and that we had to queue. She told me she was going to "wet her pants". I felt like laughing, as it reminded me of times that I had had to leave the shops clutching a desperate child in need of a loo.

After conversing a little more, she told me I had enough to feed an army in my trolley. I told her that my daughter was returning home after a month away this Thursday and that I couldn't wait to see her.

She said " that is so lovely - enjoy them while you have them - it doesn't last long and then they are gone." She then said "My daughter has left me - but she is up in heaven watching over me."

I responded "I am so sorry to hear - how sad for you to lose your daughter."

"She was only 47 (my age) you don't expect your children to die before you - she was so terribly ill, poor girl! But she is with her Father, and is waiting for me to join her. But, I am in no hurry!"

I could only respond by saying how sad this was and that she must miss her daughter so much. She continued "I have a son and he is so good to me ... but its not the same as a daughter, she was so special... it was two years ago, but you never get over something like this."

I felt privileged to share this memory with this woman about her daughter and also incredibly sad and felt the grief that she was feeling - and was living daily. A timely and salutary reminder of the blessing my children are and to daily thank God for them, their health, vitality and life.

No comments: