Monday, March 15, 2010

21st birthday quilt

My niece Caitlin has just turned 21.  I had wanted to make a quilt for her birthday, so I asked her sister, her mother and all of my children "if I made a quilt for Caiti, what colours should I use and what sort of design should I do?"  Each time I had the same response "she will like whatever you make for her".  This was singularly unhelpful, but undaunted, I took Susannah with me to shop for fabric.
This was a year ago - I thought I would give myself plenty of time to get it made.  We went to one of my favourite shops Prints Charming in Annandale armed with a  Kaffe Fassett book containing a quilt design that looked effective and reasonably easy.
We had a fun time choosing fabric - we bought just enough for the quilt I had selected and it sat looking beautiful in plastic wrapping.  A year ago I was not at all well and the idea of starting this project was a little overwhelming, so it sat until the beginning of this year.
In January, I took time off work, thinking that Keith would have finished writing about Ricky and we could go away, but his deadline was moved, due to other events that happened in our family, so I had time to fill, and I constructed this quilt!
The fabric that Prints Charming use is beautiful to sew - it is soft - I am not really sure what else to say about it, except it is a dream to work with.  There have been times over the last few weeks when I have had to quickly hide this project, as Caiti often visits.  I finally completed quilting it on the weekend and gave it to her this morning.
This quilt was a pleasure to create and I am hoping that Caiti will use it to snuggle under while watching TV or asleep in bed and that she can drape it over the easel which Mum gave her for her birthday when she is not painting.
I would love to artistically display this quilt in the fashion of Kaffe Fassett, but alas, as with decorating birthday cakes, this is not my forte.  But it did look lovely in our garden.




2 comments:

Catherine said...

Beautiful. I am very impressed! It must be such a good feeling to swe that last stitch and see the results of all that work -- and make someone else very happy, too.
I'll have to visit that shop some time - it sounds lovely...

jessica smith said...

It's wonderful. What terrific fabrics.