Monday, March 8, 2010

Numbering our days - revisited

Last week I had a conversation with Michael in which I was telling him about seeing one of his old school friends who has just turned 21.  She had lamented to me that she was getting old and that in "just nine years she would be turning 30!"  Michael responded to this by telling me that each day he thinks he is one day closer to heaven and that he embraces growing older quite happily, with this reality set before him.
Yes, he had just been to a funeral for the father of a dear friend and yes, the reality of death was in his face, but I was struck by his mindset.
Is that how I think at the end of each day?  - "I am one day closer to heaven?"  Does this reality permeate to the core of my being?  It certainly permeated Richard Baxter's life, his thoughts and his speech.  He spent the second half of his life preparing for his death and he had a long wait, but he meditated upon the splendours awaiting him in heaven daily.
A few years ago, I wrote a devotion on "numbering our days" and I revisited it.  I wrote it after my health scare and I have to admit I did much soul searching.
It is challenging to think again about how I fill my days - there are many distractions and I easily get caught up in the details of life that in the scale of things really don't matter.  I have returned to this verse and my prayer - it was a timely conversation.  Thanks Michael!

No comments: