Sunday, March 7, 2010

Celebrating One Hundred years at the State Library



Mitchell Library, opening ceremony, 8th March, 1910, by unknown photographer, originally uploaded by State Library of New South Wales collection.


Today I attended an afternoon tea and preview of our One Hundred exhibition, which opens tonight in honour of our one hundredth birthday.   It looked rather different to the above picture - I didn't see any hats, or suits even, but it was equally auspicious.  Tonight there is a proper gala dinner.  
The exhibition is worth viewing.  One hundred items from our collection have been chosen for display for one hundred days.  It is a somewhat eclectic collection of items and each one tells a unique story.
A few of my favourites include:

  •  the draft for Ethel Turner's Seven Little Australians, a book I adored as a child and read again and again.  I still remember my teacher reading it to our class in primary school and being so enthralled that I had to get it out of the library to reach the end - I just couldn't wait.;
  •  Miles Franklin's waratah cup and saucer and her letters to Angus and Robertson - how well I remember reading My Brilliant Career;
  • A chinese porcelain punchbowl featuring a scene of Sydney Cove - it is exquisite - I had only seen pictures of it, but in real life is beautiful;
  • Kate Grenville's draft manuscript for The Secret River;
  • Joseph Banks journal that he kept on board the Endeavour
  • A years worth of junk mail that arrived in a family's mailbox - there was rather a lot! 
The exhibition has been beautifully displayed and is inspiring.  I would encourage you to take the time to visit the State Library and celebrate its centenary and browse this exhibition.  This coming Saturday there is an Open Day at the library called Check Out the Library - it sounds like fun for young and old.  I will be there this Saturday and am hoping some of my family join me.