Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vale Dick Francis

One of my favourite authors Dick Francis has just died.  I have been a fan of his books for years.  He was a prolific writer.  This obituary provides details of his life.  I vividly recall reading Twice Shy for the first time in the mid 1980s.  Keith and I were staying with my aunt and uncle in Tasmania and they gave this book to Keith for Christmas.  I thought that he would never it, as he is rather selective in what he chooses to read.  However, that Christmas Day, he was sick and we left him at home in bed while we had our Christmas lunch with some neighbours.  Keith spent that entire time reading that book - I had never seen him so engrossed and he reached the end very quickly.  He admitted to enjoying reading it, so I took it up and similarly was engrossed and thus started my love affair with his books.

My aunt had a shelf of his books, so I demolished them rapidly in the remaining time we had with them.  My father had his own collection of Dick Francis' books, so I raided that collection also.  My absolute favourite is High Stakes.  He is a good story teller, has a wonderful central character - a silent elusive man who is always involved in some way with horse racing.  I have learnt much from his books about this sport - not that I have ever gone to a horse race or placed a bid, or indeed ridden a horse.  His books are thrillers and page turners.  What appeals to me most about his books is the characters - the central characters are believable, pleasant and the stories are well told.

I have several friends who equally enjoy his books.  Rhonda and her cousin Lyn and I used to race to be the first to purchase his latest book and then share it with each other. I have probably read all his books and many more than once.  I am a bookworm and I enjoy re-reading books, particularly when I find life a little overwhelming.  Disappearing into a familiar book is a bit like retreating with a good friend for a while.

1 comment:

Alison Blake said...

Hi Sarah,

I too have really enjoyed Dick Francis's books & was sad to hear of his death. I'm intrigued how a writer can draw in a reader who doesn't usually enjoy crime writing & isn't into the world of horse racing! And I think writing in the "first person" draws me in. Like you, I found his characters grabbed me.
I think I first read his books when I found a few on the bookshelves of the holiday house we were staying - it was probably a wet couple of weeks & I ran out of reading material!
My favourite is "Shattered" which is not only about horse racing but also glass blowing. I found the descriptions of the glass blower at his art really absorbing. In the story the glass blower is dramatically involved in the grand finale of the crime. When we were in the UK in 2002 we visited a glass blowers workshop in the Lake District & it was captivating watching him at work & I relived the book as I watched - but all the time thinking something dramatic & criminal was going to happen! Love, Alison